The prison phone industry, which provides telecom services for prisons, jails and other detention facilities, has a long and sordid history of exploiting prisoners and their families by charging exorbitant phone rates and fees. [See: PLN, Dec. 2013, p.1; April 2011, p.1]. Over the past decade the industry ...
Minnesota State Prison phone rates and kickbacks
Minnesota ranks 13rd in the nation for the affordability of a 15 minute call.
$1,594,908.70 paid in 2014.
Percentage of call cost going to kickbacks: 59%
Cost of a 15-minute Intrastate Call
Phone service providers
NotesData current as of April 2017 except kickbacks current as of FY2014.
Data current as of 2014-2015
Primary source documents
State DOC Rates
State DOC Contracts
- Contract Extension 2014
- Contract Extension 2013
- MN GTL Contract Proposal Part 2
- MN GTL Contract Proposal 2009 Part 4
- MN GTL Contract Proposal Part 1
- Minnesota Amended 2013-2014 GTL Inmate Phone Contract
- MN Contract with GTL 2010-2013
- MN Contract with Global Tel Link 2007
- MN GTL Contract Proposal 2009 Part 5
- MN GTL Contract Proposal 2009 Part 3