The prison phone industry, which provides telecom services for prisons, jails and other detention facilities, has a long and sordid history of exploiting prisoners and their families by charging exorbitant phone rates and fees. [See: PLN, Dec. 2013, p.1; April 2011, p.1]. Over the past decade the industry ...
Texas State Prison phone rates and kickbacks
Texas ranks 16th in the nation for the affordability of a 15 minute call.
$6,760,593.15 paid in 2012.
Percentage of call cost going to kickbacks: 40%
Cost of a 15-minute Intrastate Call
Phone service providers
NotesData current as of Nov 2018. Except for kickbacks which are current as of FY2012.
Data current as of 2012-2013
Primary source documents
State DOC Rates
- Texas DCJ - Centurylink Rates 2018-2025
- Texas Rates September 2018
- TX DOC ICS Rates effective July 2016
State DOC Contracts
- Texas DCJ - CenturyLink bid Volume 3
- Texas DCJ - CenturyLink bid Volume 2
- Texas DCJ - Centurylink Contract 2018-2025
- TX Contract with CenturyLink thru Aug 2018
- TX Phone Contract with Embarq-CenturyLink 2008-2015 with Modifications 1-7
- TX Phone Contract with Embarq 2008
State DOC Commission Data
- Texas DCJ - Centurylink Commission Rate 2018-2025
- Texas 2012 Commission Data IV
- 2012 Texas Commission Data w/breakdown
- TX Phone Kickbacks 2009-2012