The prison phone industry, which provides telecom services for prisons, jails and other detention facilities, has a long and sordid history of exploiting prisoners and their families by charging exorbitant phone rates and fees. [See: PLN, Dec. 2013, p.1; April 2011, p.1]. Over the past decade the industry ...
Michigan State Prison phone rates and kickbacks
Michigan ranks 1st in the nation for the affordability of a 15 minute call.
$9,889,212.18 paid in 2018.
Percentage of call cost going to kickbacks: 71.75-73.5%
Cost of a 15-minute Intrastate Call
Phone service providers
NotesKickbacks from Jan-Sep 2018
Data current as of 2018-2019
Primary source documents
State DOC Rates
- MI DOC - GTL telephone rate
- Michigan Rates February 2014
- ICS Rates Downloaded from Michigan DOC Website 070515
State DOC Contracts
- Michigan DOC - GTL Contract 2018-2023
- MI Contract with Embarq -- Change Notice -- 2008
- MI Contract with Sprint Extensions through 2009
- MI Contract with Sprint 2001-2006
State DOC Commission Data
- MI DOC - GTL special equipment fund revenue
- Michigan DOC Commissions 2015-2018
- MI Phone Kickback Percentage 2004-2007
- MI Phone Kickbacks 2004-2008