Groups in several states are drawing increased attention to the high cost of jail and prison phone rates, and pushing to reduce or eliminate such charges. HRDC, the publisher of PLN, has been a leader in this movement since 1992 and founded the Prison Phone ...
Massachusetts State Prison phone rates and kickbacks
Massachusetts ranks 24th in the nation for the affordability of a 15 minute call.
$2,388,145.59 paid in 2019.
Percentage of call cost going to kickbacks: 76.2%
Kickback amount from Jan - Oct 2018
Cost of a 15-minute Intrastate Call
Phone service providers
Notes2019 kickback data not yet available; Amount from Jan - Oct 2018.
Data current as of 2019-2020
Primary source documents
State DOC Rates
State DOC Contracts
- Massachusetts DOC - Securus contract 2018-2023
- MA Contract with GTL Complete Proposal 2005
- MA Contract Request for Responses 2005
- MA Contract with GTL 2007
- MA Contract GTL Response to Request for Proposal 2005
- MA Contract with GTL including RFP 2006-2010
- MA Contract with GTL Amendments 1-4 Including Renewals to 2013
- MA Contract GTL Response to Request for Proposal -- Part 2 -- 2005
State DOC Commission Data
- Massachusetts Kickbacks as of FY2015
- Massachusetts DOC commissions 2017
- MA Phone Kickbacks 2009-2012