The prison phone industry, which provides telecom services for prisons, jails and other detention facilities, has a long and sordid history of exploiting prisoners and their families by charging exorbitant phone rates and fees. [See: PLN, Dec. 2013, p.1; April 2011, p.1]. Over the past decade the industry ...
Massachusetts State Prison phone rates and kickbacks
Massachusetts ranks 24th in the nation for the affordability of a 15 minute call.
$2,308,433.03 paid in 2017.
Percentage of call cost going to kickbacks: 76.2%
Cost of a 15-minute Intrastate Call
Phone service providers
NotesData current as of Jan 2019.
Data current as of 2017-2018
Primary source documents
State DOC Rates
State DOC Contracts
- Massachusetts DOC - Securus contract 2018-2023
- MA Contract with GTL Complete Proposal 2005
- MA Contract Request for Responses 2005
- MA Contract with GTL 2007
- MA Contract GTL Response to Request for Proposal 2005
- MA Contract with GTL including RFP 2006-2010
- MA Contract with GTL Amendments 1-4 Including Renewals to 2013
- MA Contract GTL Response to Request for Proposal -- Part 2 -- 2005
State DOC Commission Data
- Massachusetts DOC commissions 2017
- Massachusetts Kickbacks as of FY2014
- MA Phone Kickbacks 2009-2012